Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Willow Hack: Update

Remember how I said I wanted a feature to "skip" the dialog in WIllow? I really meant, make it print faster. Well, I was looking through the code today, trying to make sense of it all when I came upon some code that seemed to be reading the joystick in the dialog routine.

Aha! I thought, and noticed that the bit being tested was the one for the up button. That's when I "remembered" that in order to speed up the dialog you had to hold Up on the D-Pad. I thought this "Up" business to skip dialog was a bit silly when it's almost universally held that the B button was for "cancelling". So I remapped it to B.

I also stumbled upon how it draws text to the screen, and isolated a function call that seems to draw the background.

A little more work will be needed disassembling all this twisting code before I can figure out how it does the backgrounds. When that's done, I can be on my way to writing the Load / Save screens, and making this Proof-of-concept a full working patch!

No comments: