Thursday, March 20, 2008

LCD Monitor Troubles

Remember my 19" Hanspree LCD monitor I got last Christmas?

Just today I noticed that it was developing horizontal streaks across the screen towards the right especially during sharp brightness level changes.

I was at work when Frans told me it was getting really bad, so I Googled and found an article that said frame rates above 60Hz weren't good for LCDs, so I had her reset it from 75 to 60. It seemed to fix it a little bit, but the streaks were still there.

In desperation I asked her to secure the monitor cable at the back of the LCD and the PC. She did so for the back of the LCD, and the problem went away.

Or so I thought...

UPDATE:

The source of the problem was a loose AC power cord. Some arcing was probably messing up the timing circuits and causing the streaks. After securing the power cord, the screen was back to normal.

Phew

No comments: