Friday, February 29, 2008

Willow Hack PoC complete!

My Proof-of-concept hack is done, and I now have a Willow ROM that allows saving current progress by pressing SELECT-B and resuming the saved game by selecting PASS WORD in the opening screen or CONTINUE after losing all your HP.

So far the hack works well on FCEUltra. I tried on NesterJ for the PSP but it crashed every time I tried to save my progress. Maybe it doesn't have support for battery backed RAM?

On a side note I called in sick, because I'm feeling really lousy, but apparently not enough to stop me from sitting in front of my PC for 6 hours straight.

Right now I'd like to change the intro screen text to "CONTINUE" instead of "PASS WORD", but I really should be getting some rest.

Once I figure out how the screens are set up and how text is drawn I'd like to put int a real save game selection screen, with allowance for 3 save games, showing info about each save game.

UPDATE: Just tested it on NesterJ version 1.20 beta, and it works perfectly! The version that the hack wasn't working with was 1.1 RM.

Download the patch and source here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man I wish I could program like you. I'd be making hacks like this all the time! (well... maybe...)

It always bugged me that when you continued your game it would drop all your exp to the last level you attained. If this patch fixes that, I'll probably have to take it upon myself to finally beat the game.

Regardless, this is some nice work. Can't wait to see how the finished product works out.