Monday, March 23, 2009

Hiatus

I haven't done any programming in a while now. It's probably because the PSP plugin I was trying to make was totally pwned by another person's plugin.

The plugin is another attempt to allow a user to organize games and applications into folders on the PSP, and it does the job in a much better way both interactively and programatically, and I wave the white flag and now use it myself.

It's also because I can seem to find the time I need to really get into programming. I really don't want to break my time down for you in order to illustrate, but four hours of programming sometimes just doesn't seem to cut it in order to learn or make something useful.

Perhaps it's just that I don't have a focus right now.

So I've dropped programming for a while and now I'm going back to playing games.

Recently I've started playing Final Fantasy VIII again. It's one of the RPGs I've already finished, but more or less enjoyed enough the first time around to warrant a second playthrough.

The first time I played it, I was in college, and I only rented to play the game, so I didn't have much time to really get into it, nor did I finish it.

The savegame slept on my memory card until the day PSX emulation became feasible, and following instructions, I made a memory card reader out of a floppy disk connector and some instructions on the web.

The second time I played it, I between jobs and had so many games to play that I didn't really bother to spend the time to get to know the game that well.

I'm playing it on my PSP nowadays, more or less for nostalgia than the need to finish it. I could be spending more time on Patapon 2, but I've grown a bit tired of killing bosses over and over again in order to level up my army so I can go back to killing bosses over and over again.

Maybe it's my video card, but Resident Evil 4 gets me motion sick after a few minutes of play. Then again I was never really a fan of first-person-shooters.

I haven't touched Final Fantasy X in a while. I'm using PCSX2 to emulate it (I don't own a PS2), and fortunately my video card can crank enough polygons per second to make it playable.

It'd be nice to own a PS2 and play all those great games, but I can't bring myself to shell out some money to buy a second hand unit and some games with scratched or second-rate DVDs.

Maybe if someone sold me one for Php 4,000, I'd bite. But that's almost a new Inno3D GForce 9600 GTS DDR3.

Thing is, I'm not even much of an avid PC gamer.

*sigh*

1 comment:

Yopoleo said...

HELLO!
I'm almost sure you're the owner of this page:

http://www.geocities.com/saintender.geo/main.html

Your source code was like a roseta stone to me, thank you very much!

I'm currently learning (yeah, a little bit late, but at last!) to use ro files and i want to do a pseudo client for the PSP
(Using the graphics of the original ro) i don't think it can be made but with some little tweaks maybe... you never know :)