Monday, January 14, 2008

A Sense of Accomplishment

I've been missing a sense of accomplishment that comes with the things I used to do. Things I rarely get to do now, because of work and the fact that I dont own all my time (i.e. have a girlfriend).

Sometimes I really miss doing things what others might consider wasting time, things like sketching landscapes and mecha and anime girls (usually in skimpy outfits), playing a musical instrument like a guitar or a piano, finishing an RPG, putting together electronic gadgets out of spare parts, writing semi-useless programs that have no real use beyond the esoteric, writing stories from imagination, reading countless books all day.

When it comes down to it, these things don't really mean anything to anyone in the long run and in the context of the real world can be dropped in favor of something more productive, like coding for profit, watching the news, or heck, catching up on sleep.

I guess I had a lot of time to do those things and I got used to doing them, and now I'm out of my comfort zone I'm just having to adjust all my priorities.

And sometimes I find I've replaced those things with something similar, but not exactly the same, like blogging, and reading articles and blogs.

Maybe it's all part of growing up, and sacrificing time for yourself for time for others.

Maybe I have a lot to look forward to, when I'm sixty, then my own family can let me have my own time in my "lab" with all those gutted electronic parts and half-assembled computers and books and magazines.

For now though, it's an accomplshment enough to get work done and come back home.

No comments: