Wednesday, January 23, 2008

PSP-Dev Woes

Today was by far the most painless install of the psp toolchain I ever did. While this is only the second time, and I hope I won't have to do it again soon, I did learn a few things along the way.

The first thing I did was to jot down exactly how I installed the toolchain and what problems popped up, so I wouldn't have to rely on my now-rusty memory.

It helped bucket loads that I was using Dan Peori's toolchain/library installers. It took a while but when everything was done, most of the source code I had on me was compiling without a glitch.

I wasn't supposed to go back to trying to code for the PSP. I wanted very much to give up on it, since I couldn't think of anything useful to begin to write and start learning that PSPDEV-lore. Everything about programming for the PSP seems so complicated and it's hard to get your hands on some easy-to-understand documentation.

I was also beaten to the Multi-Update folder idea, something that allows you to switch the contents of your update folder, as only one update folder is allowed on your PSP.

A tower defense game has already been made. It would be nice to make one with nice graphics though. At this point it thinking about developing for the PSP brings me back to SDL, as there is a port available for the PSP, it would be so much easier to develop on the PC, work out the main bugs, then port it to the PSP.

Maybe I should go back to square one, write a bouncing ball app, and move on from there.

No comments: